View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simmons View Post
I don't think that would really help anything. The main problems with turning the engine over cold until fuel gets to the carb is wear on the starter and possible minimal cylinder lubrication.
Good point, John. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
On further reflection it isn't just after long periods of standing. It gets fairly hot under the hood and fuel evaporates when the engine is shut down. An electric pump will also help with hot starts. I think the Filton engineers must have had good reason to replace the mechanical pump with the SU.

There are many opinions on the electric pumps. Several have become infuriated with the SU and gone to Holley, Mallory etc. The latter have good output and are reliable but have been criticised for being noisy and may generate more pressure than you need, lifting the needle valve and causing a rich mixture.

The main problem with the SU was its mechanical points. The AUF404 was double ended and had twice as much to go wrong. The later, solid state, switching seemed much better and was a fairly easy retro-fit. I modified my pumps in this way and was very happy with the result. New pumps with this type of switching are available in the UK for about £300.

If you do go for a racing style pump you need to make sure it is mounted on a suitably compliant base with flexible hoses so vibration isn't transferred to the car.
Thanks, David. FWIW attached is a pic of what was in the boot until I took it apart to set it the right way up! It's a Mallory 140 and supposedly very quiet. Since being turned the right way up, it's only managing 2.5PSI !!!!! I'd just put in another except it's rather expensive and overkill for this engine anyway.

I have been looking to see if I could fit a mechanical and it seems unlikely anyway. My car has its alternator sat on that side of the engine and there's less than 3" clearance between it and the blanking plate over the mechanical pump location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe View Post
I fitted a red top Facet to my 407 20 years ago, it failed this year after 56,000 miles. I fitted a one immediately.
The Facet came with a pressure regulator which I soon found the most suitable pressure for my 313 engine. I mounted the pump under the off side wing near the servo. It is mounted rubber insulation bolts so the tap, tap tap noise is hardly heard on tick over. My car is still positive earth, Facet used to do both positive and negative pumps. They now only offer negative but it is a simple job to wire it up for positive earth.
It is an almost instant start as mentioned not turning over the starter motor.
I can see no reason not to fit, just makes life simple.
Thank you, Nick. Facet are a strong candidate but my car is all wired and plumbed for the pump to go in the boot sitting marginally below the level of the fuel tank bottom. I think I'll have to stick to that setup for now (mostly because of the wiring changes I'd need to make) and will let you know what pump I install and how it sounds!

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel pump (1) (Copy).jpg (109.9 KB, 17 views)