View Single Post
Old 20-12-21, 06:54 PM

Default Next 408 exhaust question - tips

My car's non-original 360 engine has a Mopar performance cam so it sounds a bit like a muscle car at idle and low speed. It has dual 2.25" exhausts attached to stock cast iron manifolds. It had glasspacks but I had them replaced with a pair of larger, baffle-type silencers/mufflers. That helped the noise a bit but I am still thinking it's too much like a muscle car for a Bristol. Things I am considering are : adding an H-pipe ahead of the mufflers/silencers or adding a second muffler/silencer aft of the rear axle à la later 411. However, before I do either, I had a question about the exhaust tips. Mine are straight out with a slant cut on the end but I see the cars left the factory with downturned tips. Even later 411s had fake straight tips with the actual exhaust exit pointing down (see here 411 (Series 3-5) Exhaust Tailpipes.

Fitting downturn tips would be cheap and easy - is it going to help sound reduction by directing sound down? If not, what is the purpose of the factory pointing them down?

Thanks

David