View Single Post
Old 08-11-21, 11:26 PM

Raymond,
You have a dilemma, the instruments and switches you prefer are the preserve of the early 401's , the later 401's and 403's all had black dials and switches with white lettering. It was not just these features that made them special , look at the road tests of the early 401's, the detailing was very art deco, the indicator switch on top of the steering column, the cowl over same, the lids on the door pockets, the secret internal door release button the curved bonnet front and rear, so superior in detail to what followed and now very rare. Bring a rust free one of those back from Australia and you could have an absolute gem but essential it is almost a 100% complete especially interior and exterior trim as I doubt any is now available.
Would I rather have one of those cars than a 403 hell yes, I can understand the desire to go for a 403 because they have more power but if you are rebuilding a 401 engine now things can be done to match or exceed that performance, new Alfin drums for the front brakes are available or you could convert to discs, an overdrive could be fitted and I may also be able to sell you an anti roll bar taken off a 405.
Finding a set of the original white switchgear is going to be difficult all you need for most of it is the control knobs but the ignition/light switch is rather special. The instrument faces, I am sure someone or some firm could redo them with black numerals on a white or ivory background but it might look a bit resto mod without the patina of the originals.
Geoff.

Last edited by Geoff Kingston; 08-11-21 at 11:32 PM.