View Single Post
Old 09-07-21, 10:24 AM

My understanding of tracking a car with two LH track rod ends (tre) on each side of the car is to release one tre on each side and turn the tre until you think it’s in the correct position then refit it, after which you need to check the alignment again; if it’s not correct, repeat the process until it is. This needs to be done on both sides of the car. The tow in/out of the front wheels is adjusted by the central track rod in the traditional manner because the central track rod has one LH and one RH tre.

When I reached the point initially to replace my tre’s, the first problem was to remove the old ones from the track rods. After trying all the usual tricks to release the ends from the rods, this became a challenge, including using 24” stillsons and a very heavy duty vice. I decided at that point to replace the rods with new ones and go for a more conventional installation as is fitted to my other cars, in fact all cars I have ever owned (I think).

As most readers will know, when fitting a LH and RH tre onto a rod threaded accordingly at each end, you only need to turn the rod to move the tre’s in and out. The tow in or tow out can also be done at the same time. This process eliminates removing the outer tre to carry out the adjustments and also negates the need to adjust the central track rod.

I set up my alignment initially with a length of string during the assembly process before trailering the car for tracking to my local garage for it to be done accurately.

I am sure Bristol Cars had a very good reason for using the 4LH tre; if anyone knows the reason why, I would be interested. I suspect a lot of Bristol owners will have already made this modification.

I will take a few photos and post them quite soon, the delay is because I have had to remove the wiper motor this week, three of the wires coming out of the motor have shed their insulation due to old age and whist doing that job, I decided to have my tachometer upgraded for compatibility with my electronic ignition and also have the clock repaired which hasn’t worked in my ownership plus a few other “small” jobs while waiting for the return of the Rev counter.

Andrew, if you are considering replacing the bushes on the wishbones, check very carefully for hairline cracks in the wishbones and if in doubt, have them crack tested.

Brian