View Single Post
Old 10-03-21, 12:03 PM

My guess is that the carbys that fit any mopar LA series or B/RB V8 will have the same top diameter (where the air cleaners sits). The Edelbrock on my 411 (B block 400) has a top outer diameter in just under 127.5 mm, so 5 inches. The flange on which the gasket sits, then the air cleaner, is about 5mm wide. The original Mopar air cleaners probably varied depending on the body type.

The air cleaner on my Bristol 411 is 90mm high, although the bottom is recessed, so the effective height off the top of the carby is 81mm. It looks lower in height than the original one fitted to the 408, but it is also wider, so that might be an illusion.

Mine also is also a dual snorkel version like this, whereas I believe the standard 360 air cleaner and the original one on the 408 are single snorkel, but from photos on the web it's clear that you could get a dual snorkel air cleaner for the 360.

As it happens, while I was taking measurements I noticed that the air filter on my car is about 4mm too high for the housing (another bodge by the guy who rebuilt my engine). Although, because the filter seals against the lid, too high is better than too low, so long as the bonnet still closes!

David, the crucial measurement for you is the height of the threaded post that goes up through the middle of the air cleaner. That determines the maximum height of the air cleaner, less the nut that secures the air cleaner, although the air cleaner lid is typically recessed in the middle. On mine, the post protrudes about 3mm higher that the highest point of the air cleaner (even with my 4mm oversized air filter). It is difficult to measure the distance between the top of the post and the flange on the top of the carby, but I'm sure its possible with a bit of mucking around. That will give you a very good idea of what you have to play with in terms of air cleaner height.

Bear in mind, that post can easily be cut shorter, so it might not be as high as it could be on your car. It could have been cut down to suit the current air cleaner. It would be interesting to know the clearance between the top of the post and the bonnet. Of course it's very hard to see, unless you could position a camera in the engine bay to give you a visual while the bonnet is closed. Alternatively perhaps you could tape a small slab of plasticine to the underside of the bonnet to see if you get an imprint from the post.