View Single Post
Old 12-02-21, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA View Post
For what it's worth I went through a similar mental process. I've got a 410 which from the factory has an overhead speaker between the driver and passenger and one speaker on RHS of parcel shelf. I considered putting speakers in the front door cards, in the kick panel under the rear seat squab and the parcel shelf. I also looked at the retro head units. In the end I went with getting the best sound I could from new speakers in the original locations and the most discreet modern head unit so I had all the connectivity for the rare occasions I might use it. My reasoning was I didn't really want to start cutting additional holes and if I'm honest with myself, most of the time I prefer listening to the car. If not that then Radio 4 and it's only on long motorway treks (remember them!) on my own that I'll use it to listen to music that the rest of the family can't stand!
I got the head unit sorted first (I went for a very plain modern Sony unit in the end) then spent quite a while trying different speakers in different price ranges until I got the sound that I was happy with. The dual voice option sounds a good place to start IMHO. In terms of the sound quality, it's now miles better than original but it's no concert hall. I also wondered about suppressors as the old radio would rev in time with the engine (!) but modern unit needed no suppressing and is crystal clear.
Good luck!
Andrew
Thanks Andrew,
very interesting, and thanks for contributing. Having slept on it, I am favouring the idea of the single DVC speaker in the front for simplicity, a new pair of recessed speakers in the parcel shelf, and a restoration of my original Motorola - I just can't get that idea out of my head, it looks so cool.

So I don't have wires running into the door, and don't need to cut the door cards.
On a slightly separate but related note - I have just sourced and paid for a pair of XJ6 s3 chrome wing mirrors - manual ones with the mini joystick for adjustment; originally only have 1 mirror on drivers side and want two mirrors for modern driving , but the manual option although rare as hens teeth to find again means I get to keep away from needing to put wires into the doors. I saw a 411 s2 for sale on TheHairPinCompany and it had been fitted with these same mirrors, and I think they suit the car really well, but I guess this is not for this thread!