Thread: 412 beaufighter
View Single Post
Old 16-01-21, 02:57 PM

Hi Oliver,
I own a 411 S5 but I believe the chassis is the same as the 412s.
If you jack it up under the front crossmember (presumably using a trolley jack) I would put a steel plate between the jack and the crossmember to spread the load and avoid damaging the crossmember.

Personally I would be inclined to use ramps instead. It would be safer and also provide better access.

Assuming the front suspension of the 411 is similar to the 412, if you leave the front of the car suspended for an extended period with the front wheels off the ground without any support (with the front springs fully extended), you will destroy the rubber bump stops - they are designed only to withstand momentary compression.

As for removing the sump pan with the engine in situ; I don't think it is possible on the 400 CID engine in the 412 S1, but your car presumably has a 360 engine. I don't know if that makes a difference. Unfortunately the likelyhood of another Beaufighter or S2 owner having tried to do it is quite slim. Once you get under the car I am sure it will be obvious whether it is possible or not. Regardless, you shouldn't have to touch the torsion bars.