Thread: Howdy All
View Single Post
Old 31-10-20, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSchmitt View Post
Nice car! Where in California are you? There are several owners around the state.
You will soon hear from others that the (original?) engine is 2 l. 6 cyl in a unique valve configuration. It looks like a DOHC but a single cam operates inclined valves for the hemi-head, using pushrods that cross over. The engine is "Bristol", closely derived from the prewar BMW 328 engine.
There is a Bristol Owners Club you should join. https://boc.net/s/ They also have a forum that today linked to a (error-filled) news story about the Bristol Car Company.
I've been a BOC member for nearly 30 years; joined because my car (not a Bristol) has a Bristol engine. Jay Leno has a Bristol 403.
Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasini s View Post
Hello,

maybe you'd like to take a look at some pages of my 403 blog...

My Favourite Cars-Bristol 403

I sold my 403 since last September to a nice gentleman and collector living in the South of France, but at least you may find what does the gear lever look like and some other interesting quirks of our beloved Bristols! Restoration of my 403 was somewhat roller coaster ride, but it worth every moment (and euro) of it. Congratulations, seriously, you purchased a fine car.

Best

Stefano
Thanks guys. It seems this isn't a Aussie only crowd, but an international one. I better exhibit my polite side. I figured the down-under folks could handle my weird/despicable/deviant personality, but the folks from more respectable countries (like NZ) are probably more refined! Plus, my Probation Officer is no doubt monitoring this, so I should straighten out.

It's nice knowing I have you folks watching my back on this...although I'm pretty familiar with cars & basic mechanics, this purchase really is a whole new experience. To further complicate matters, I was also dumb enough to buy a German car that I'm totally unfamiliar with (see attached). It was just so damn cute, with a low estimate that I jumped in, hoping I wouldn't get it. Wouldn't you know it! The one other bidder dropped out right away & my low-ball bid got it! That sale also took place in a blink of the eye. Now I gotta figure how to squeeze these into my garage !?@?#

RGSchmitt...I'm an hour south of Los Angeles & 1/2 an hour north of San Diego, in a remote rural area. I'm surprised that there are other Bristols in Calif. (I've seen Leno's on youtube). I thought the cars were unknown here-a-bouts. It would be fun to meet up with them.

Thanks for the engine info. Do you think it's OK using my 15w-40 oil?

Stefano...that's some restoration you've done!. Way more than I have the patience for. I'll be viewing it more closely soon. Is there a written part of your blog, or is it mainly photos? I only did a quick look, so I might have missed it. BTW...is the body aluminum or steel?

As our former Governor said, "I'll be back".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MY TAUNUS.jpg (426.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MY TAUNUS-interior.jpg (545.9 KB, 13 views)