Thread: 401 gearbox
View Single Post
Old 17-02-20, 10:18 PM

Default Slow But Steady Progress

Just an update if anybody is interested. Once the gearbox was out, I took off the clutch and flywheel, the latter having now been skimmed and refitted. A complete new MGB clutch is in a box awaiting fitment. I decided that although the main reason for removing the box was to fix the clutch judder that I might as well improve the second gear synchro and a tendency to jump out of third on the overrun. This is where everything seemed to go into SLOW MO...... but last week some progress was made. Fitted proper thickness circlips to prevent the shaft moving axially, obtained a new old stock complete 2nd gear synchro hub with second gear from Bristol Cars, BUT it seems I also need the first gear freewheel hub as mine does not fit so again Bristol Cars are sending me a NOS one. Fingers crossed this one is a good fit! I did get a quote from a local precision engineering company to 3D scan to splines and do something called spark reduction on the existing splines which is very high tech but it seems eye wateringly expensive.