View Single Post
Old 10-02-20, 07:21 PM

Yes,Not easy! When I did this a few years ago I obtained the "correct" keyhole section seal from Bristol cars. It might have cost £48 11RC.
This was the wrong size, too big, and could never fit the windscreen aperture.Eventually I broke the screen trying to fit in.
There are two sorts of seal on the 400.Firstly the whole frame of the windscreen fits flUsh into the windscreen aperture.
The circular part of the rubber seal then operates between the frame of the screen, and the paintwork inside the aperture.
Later models used a more conventional flat section seal, about 1" wide, which fits over the top of the aperture .Needs to sit slightly proud and is perhaps less elegant.Probably leaks less too.
Both sorts are available from classic car suppliers, if you send them an inch of the old one.
Probably a neater and better solution to version 1 is to install the screen without a seal then apply a generous bead of sealant all round and smooth it flat. Our local windscreen centre did this for me nicely.
Syd Lovesy told me that there was a demarcation dispute between the Coach builders,the painters,the trimmers, and the fitters, whose areas of work intercepted where the screen joined the bodywork.
Might explain something.